The Environmental Health Unit of the Wayne County Health Department conducts regular seasonal inspections of the recreational vehicle park/camps and Temporary park camps in the County. State law (Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3733) requires the annual licensing and inspection of all campgrounds within a local health jurisdiction.


As specified in state regulations, campgrounds are divided into four (4) categories for licensing purposes:

  • Recreational Vehicle Parks (for RVs);
  • Recreation Camps (pop-up campers and tents);
  • Combined Park-Camps (contain a combination of RVs, pop-up campers, and tents);
  • Temporary Park-Camps (camping units located at short-term events and festivals);

Inspectors check to see that campgrounds are adhering to Campground Rules under OAC 3701-26. Items inspected include the camp’s overall sanitation and safety which include: proper sewage, wastewater, and refuse disposal; spacing between units; restroom and shower facility sanitation; electrical safety; and playground equipment safety.

Inspections and Licensing

Inspections of the park/camps must be performed a minimum of once per year but are usually inspected twice per year. Park/camps are required to license annually with the license fees being determined by the number of sites in the park. 

temp camp

Temporary campground means any tract of land used for a period not to exceed a total of twenty-one days per calendar year for the purpose of parking five or more recreational vehicles, dependent recreational vehicles or portable camping units or any combination thereof, for one or more periods of time that do not exceed seven consecutive days or parts thereof.

resident camp

Resident camp means a facility which is being primarily utilized for the purpose of camping, that requires overnight residence, indoor or outdoor activities and exists on any tract of land together with any buildings or other structures pertinent to its use. Resident Camps (4-H, Girl Scout/Boy Scout-types of camps, or other campgrounds for overnight camping purposes) must have a permit to operate from the local Board of Health.