Food safety guidelines

Food Safety

Food Safety

Don’t let food borne illness spoil your Holidays!!
ServSafe COVID-19 Precautions Reopening Guidance

ServSafe releases the third video in the COVID-19 Precautions series. ServSafe Reopening Guidance: COVID-19 Precautions was developed to help restaurant and foodservice employees learn best practices to employ during the Coronavirus outbreak.

Video topics include: 
·      Knowing COVID-19 symptoms
·      Understand how to prevent the spread of the virus
·      Recognizing actions designed to reduce risk to employees and guests
·      Guidelines for face coverings, hand washing, and food handling
·      Guidelines for cleaning, sanitizing, and disinfecting
·      Physical and operational changes to maintain social distancing 

The Environmental Health Unit (EH Unit) is responsible for licensing and inspecting food operations in accordance to Ohio Revised Code Chapter 3717 including Food Service Operations (FSO) (restaurants, bars, day care centers, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.); Retail Food Establishments (RFE) (grocery stores, convenience stores, gas stations); Mobile Food Service Operations and Mobile Retail Food Establishments (fairs/festival trailers); Temporary Food Service Operations; and Vending Machine Locations (coffee, sandwiches, ice cream). FSO and RFE Application are renewed each year by March 1.

Food safety update

Risk Level Classification

Inspection frequency, plan review fees, and license fees are based on the Risk Level Classification. For new or remodeled operations, plans must be submitted to the EH Unit for approval prior to construction. 

Home baked goods
Cottage Food Operations

Prepared home baked goods that do not require refrigeration are exempt from licensing provided the baked goods are properly labeled (For baked goods that require refrigeration, contact the Ohio Department of Agriculture at (800)-282-1955 to obtain a Home Bakery License. A temporary license may be required to sell products at events such as craft shows, fairs, festivals, etc.

Safe food handling
Level One Certification

Food protection is required for a Person-in-Charge per shift for all operations licensed after March 1, 2010; operations implicated in a foodborne illness outbreak; and all Persons-in-Charge for operations with a documented history of failure to maintain sanitary conditions.

Level Two Certification

Food protection is required for all Risk Level III and IV food service operations and retail food establishments. These facilities must have one Person-In-Charge, who has supervisory, and management duties and permission to direct and control food preparation and service, obtain Level Two certification in food protection.

Food Safety Training Frequently Asked Questions
FAQs1.16 MB