Sewage treatment systems

Sewage Treatment Systems

Sewage Treatment Systems

Important Continuing Education Unit (CEU) Requirements for Contractors

Sewage, Wastewater and Service Provider Contractors:

Due to the ongoing situation with the Covid-19 pandemic and the restrictions placed on holding in-person continuing education trainings, the requirement for obtaining 6 HOURS OF CONTINUING EDUCATION (CE) DURING 2020 IN ORDER TO RENEW YOUR REGISTRATION FOR 2021 has been deferred.

This deferral will allow sewage treatment systems contractors to obtain the 6 hours of CE for 2021 registration renewal during 2020 or 2021. Sewage treatment systems contractors will still be required to obtain an additional 6 hours of CE during 2021 in order to renew registrations for 2022. Sewage treatment systems contractors will be required to demonstrate a total of 12 hours of continuing education obtained during 2020 and/or 2021 to renew registrations for 2022.   

No other registration requirements have been deferred.

There are several on-line CEU’s available this month and December. I recommend you take advantage of these opportunities.You can find them at the link below.

Sewage treatment

The Wayne County Health Department Environmental Health (EH) Unit is the first place to contact if you want to install a new sewage treatment system (STS), or alter, replace or abandon your existing sewage system. The EH Unit will work with you to ensure a comprehensive review of your system, property, and water use to determine the best solutions for proper wastewater treatment for your home or to determine the correct repair of a malfunctioning system. The EH Unit offers the full range of services from the site and soil evaluation to system design (depending on the system complexity required) and inspections. A permit to install or alter a system must be obtained from the local health district before beginning any construction or repair activities on a system.

How To Request a Site Evaluation Approval For a Sewage Treatment System

Individuals may either request a parcel or tract of property be evaluated by EH Unit to determine the feasibility of installing a new or replacement sewage treatment system (STS) to serve a one, two or three family dwelling or a small flow on-site sewage treatment system (SFOSTS) for facilities which would generate less than 1000 gallons per day by any the following methods.

Please note: submit the soil evaluation and plot plan design with $125 review fee to the EH Unit for review and approval. Plot plans will not be reviewed unless review fee paid. Please allow 5 working days for design plan approval.
Sewage treatment systems

How To Obtain a Permit To Install Or Alter Or Abandon a Sewage Treatment System

Individuals may obtain a Permit to Install or a Permit to Alter a sewage treatment system to serve a one, two or three family dwelling (STS) or a small flow on-site sewage treatment system (SFOSTS) from the EH Unit after the approval of the submitted design plan. Once approved, a permit application is required. A registered septic installer and homeowner* must be named on permit and permit fee paid to issue permits. 

A homeowner may apply for and install a septic system if: Own the parcel as the primary residence and take a test regarding the Sewage code with an 80% passing grade.

Once the newly installed septic system is approved for use with submitted as-built information and the system passes a 12-month inspection an operating permit shall be issued. Soil-based septic system installations must have prior approval by the EH Unit to begin construction from November 1 to April 30.

Board of health

Variance Request 

A board of health may grant a variance from the requirements of the sewage rules when a person has made written application for a variance to the board requesting the variance and the applicant shows that because of practical difficulties, or other special conditions, compliance with this chapter will cause unusual and unnecessary hardship.

Request Form67.32 KB
Registered Contractors List
Real estate evaluation

Request for Real Estate Evaluation

Any 1, 2, or 3-family dwelling within the jurisdiction of Wayne County Public Health that is served by an STS may request an inspection on each system before the property transfers ownership. This is not a requirement in Wayne County. Homes with an STS that require an inspection by the lender or buyer must have a registered service provider or a sanitarian from the EH Unit conduct the evaluation prior to transfer. 

Septic systems
Operation and Maintenance for Septic Systems for Property Owners

View the basic overview of the different types of STS components, the different type of STS systems and the associated maintenance with each system. 

Household septic systems
Homeowner Education

Nearly one-fifth of American households depend on septic systems to treat their wastewater and failure to maintain a septic system can lead to backups, malfunctions and early failures that can result is costly repairs.  The EPA's SepticSmart programs educate homeowners about the proper system care and maintenance all year long.

Water Pollution Control Loan Fund
Information for Contractors